A：It is required to submit the tax registration to competent tax authority with holding of relevant supporting documents within 30 days from the date of approval for business license.
Q：How can I process the tax registration regarding cessation of business?
A：Taxpayer who pays tax regularly in fixed amount shall place the “Cesssation of Business Application” with competent tax authority, and after approval,receive the Notice of approval of Cessation of Business. Other taxpayers need not process application, they shall only make zero filing.
Q：How can a business process resumption tax registration?
A：With the completion the “Form of Receiving Resumption Document and returning the Notice of Approval of Cessation of Business, business will be resumed after the approval of competent tax authority.
Q：Does enterprise setting up of branches require to process tax registration? Can it be applied for by a plain invoice?
A：Yes. It needs to process tax registration. The company shall also bring all of its Industrial & Commercial Business License, parent company information, ID card of corporate representative of parent company and other documents to process at tax bureau. Enterprises with a branch of independent accountability shall report its financial statements to local tax bureau and apply for plain invoice.
A：The authenticity of invoice can be identified by the following features:
- The invoice title and body shall be both in Block Letters
- The words “Accounts Copy” after normal completion shall show in purple colour
- Each copy shall be in an 8-digit number,in Gothic typeface
- The column of amount in words of the invoice shall apply the printing colour of invoice body and overprint colour bar
2. Q：Do gratuitous donations of goods require special invoice?
A：Yes. Goods donated to general VAT payer will be issued VAT special invoice on demand of the donee.
3. Q：Can my company, being a small taxpayer, issue VAT special invoice?
A：Small-scale taxpayer can apply for VAT special invoice to competent tax authority.
A：Yes. The tax rate of such invoice is at 3% General taxpayer will take this special invoice as deduction certificate.
2. Q：Can foreign investment enterprise, being small-scale taxpayer purchase domestic equipment with VAT refund?
A：Yes.Domestic equipment purchased by non-VAT payers, small-scale taxpayers as well as foreign investment enterprises set up in bonded area, in compliance with relevant requirements (GSF(1999) No.171), can process tax refund.
3. Q：Can my company, being retail enterprise with annual turnover about RMB2.1 milion, refuse to apply for the qualification of general taxpayer?
A：No. According to requirements, enterprise with annual turnover above RMB0.8 milion will apply to tax bureau to become general taxpayer.
4. Q：Can plain invoice be used to credit Input VAT?
A：No. VAT special invoice recognized by the Tax Law Can only be used to credit Output VAT, but the amount of plain invoice can be included in purchase cost.
5. Q：Can the exported goods of small-scale taxpayer be entitled to tax refund?
A：According to prevailing policies concerning tax rebates (exemptions) for exported goods, the goods exported by small-scale taxpayers on their own or on consignment shall be free of VAT, consumption tax but without refund.
6. Q：How can I apply for the qualification of general taxpayer which can issue VAT special invoice?
A：Application for general taxpayer VAT special invoice shall fulfil the following conditions:
- Industrial enterprise with annual taxable sales value no less than RMB0.5 milion
- Commercial enterprise with annual taxable sales value no less than RMB0.8 milion
- Enterprise with a sound accounting and auditing system and purchased anti-counterfeiting tax control equipment
A：Tax refund rate can be differentiated into six categories of 17%, 13%,11%,8%,6% and 5% according to different goods.
2. Q：When shall enterprise empowered to manage import/export process export tax rebate(exemption) process confirmation?
A：Enterprise shall process export tax rebate (exemption) confirmation with competent tax authority within 30days after filing and registration with foreign trade & economic department.
3. Q：What are the requirements for newly-opened productive enterprise to process”Exemption,Credit and Tax Rebate” for exported goods?
A：The refundable tax accrued within 12 months from the first export transaction of newly-opened productive enterprise shall be refunded per month but carried forward to next transaction to continue crediting the tax payable on domestic sales. 12 months later, enterprise being small-scale export-oriented enterprise, shall perform as required on small-scale export-oriented enterprise. Enterprise other than small-scale export-oriented enterprise will calculate process “Exemption, Credit and Tax Rebate” per month, except in the two following cases:
- Enterprise registered more than one year ago which creates new export business (other than small-scale enterprise), after being verified by the municipal tax bureau to be competent of productive capacity and without violation of law, will process “Exemption, Credit and Tax Rebate” per month;
- Newly-opened productive enterprise, whose domestic and export sales value amount to more than RMB5 million and export sales account for more than 50%, will apply to provincial tax bureau for calculation of “Exemption, Credit and Tax Rebate” per month.
4. Q：Can an individual apply for trademark registration?
A：The refundable tax accrued during the year of small-scale export-oriented enterprise with a period of 12 months under review for tax refund, shall not be refunded per month but carried forward to next period to continue crediting the tax payable on domestic sales of goods, and processed refund of tax remaining after crediting at year end in one stroke.
According to the State Administration of Taxation, the standard of small-scale export-oriented enterprise shall be determined by the State Administration of Taxation of each province in reference to proper reality of each on a basis of the enterprise’s domestic and export sales value in aggregate of a taxable year, ranging from RMB2 million to RMB5 million, for example, the standard of small-scale export-oriented enterprise in Guangdong province is below RMB3 million of domestic and export sales value in aggregate.
5. Q：Can the goods exported by small-scale taxpayer on their own, or on consignment, process export rebates?
A：The goods exported by small-scale taxpayer on their own or on consignment, shall continue to perform tax-free policy, without crediting or rebating its Input Tax. The goods purchased by export-oriented enterprise from small-scale taxpayer for exportation are permitted tax rebates, if the rate of export rebates is 5%, the rate of rebates will be at 5%; if the rate of export rebates is above 5%, the applicable rate is 6% in any case.
A：Consumption Tax shall be collected in one specific link, generally in the production, processing dealing and importation link of taxable consumption goods, except for gold and silver jewellery, diamonds and diamond ornaments, which shall be taxed in retail link.
2.Q：Which commodities are subject to Consumption Tax?
A：The following commodities are subject to Consumption Tax：
- Alcoholic drinks and alcohol
- Golf and equipment high-grade watches,yacht,wooden disposable chopsticks, hardwood flooring
- Precious jewellery and precious gems
- Fircrackers and fireworks
- Product oils
- Motor vehicle tires
- Saloon cars
A：Enterprise which lends money to others and collects interest, incurs tax obligation in banking and insurance industry, so it shall pay Business Tax.
A：Computation of Income Tax:
- Income = Appropriation Expenditure of Current Period / (1 – Appraised and Specified Rate of Profit 10% – Sale Tax Rate 5%)
- Corporate Income Tax Payable = Profits × Appraised and Specified Rate of Profit 10% × Corporate Income Tax 25%
2.Q：What expenses are included in the appropriation expenditure in computation of profits?
A：They are: salary, bonus, allowance, welfare expenses, purchase costs of articles (including motors, office equipment and other fixed assets), communication cost, travel charge, house rent, equipment lease cost, cost of travel, entertainment expenses and other operation cost paid to employees in China and abroad.
3.Q：Can interest income offset appropriation expenditure?
A：Interest income shall not offset appropriation expenditure, and the actually accrued expenditure shall be taken in account in computing revenue before tax.
4.Q：Can the fixed assets of representative office be depreciated?
A：If the representative office has complete financial records, its fixed assets can be depreciated monthly.
5.Q：Which expenses of representative office are not included in the appropriation expenditure?
- The airfare expenses for relevant personnel advanced by resident representative office for the purpose of visiting parent company by invitation
- Board and lodging expenses, cost of travel as well as entertainment expenses, advanced by resident representative office when parent company visits China by delegation
- Related expenses advanced by resident representative office when the head office holds large-scale exhibit in China
- Late fee and fine on various taxes payable by representative office
- Donations in nature of public welfare or relief used in cash by representative office in China
6.Q：Shall the usage of properties owned by parent company for office address free of charge be treated as appropriation expenditure taken in account in computation of revenue before Business Tax?
A：Representative office which uses the properties owned by parent company for office address shall pay Business Tax on the basis of rent computed from the dealings between independent enterprises.
A：The original value or rental of taxpayer’s house property, whether for self-purpose or letting, shall be taken into account when computing Real Estate Tax.
2. Q：What is the rate of Real Estate Tax?
A：There are several computing modes of Real Estate Tax
A：Expenses of taxation payable include：
- Business Tax, 5% of selling price (tax-free upon sale of common house purchased by individual person and inhabited for more than 5 years; those inhabiting less than 5 years shall be taxed on the basis of entire selling price, while uncommon house shall be taxed by price difference)
- Urban Maintenance and Construction Tax, 1% of Business Tax
- Stamp Duty, 0.05% of selling price
- Individual Income Tax at 20%, Corporate Income Tax at 25%
- Formula: Income Tax = Selling Price – Original Price – Business Tax – Urban Maintenance and Construction Tax – Stamp Duty – Land Value Added Tax
- Deed Tax, 1.5% or 3% of selling price
- Land Value Added Tax , from 30% to 60%
A：Hong Kong resident, who works only in mainland and gets paid and need not provide any service back in Hong Kong, shall pay individual income tax on the income earned by provision of service in mainland, whether the income is paid or borne by domestic office or overseas employer (including Hong Kong employer).
2.Q：How to compute Individual Income Tax payable by Hong Kong resident who is employed to work in mainland by Hong Kong employer for more or not more than 183 days?
A：The employee, who stays in mainland consecutively or accumulatively for not more than 183 days, shall pay tax for the number of days staying in mainland in respect of the salary paid or borne by mainland company after computing the tax payable. The portion of salary paid by overseas employer (including Hong Kong employer) shall not be subject to tax.
The employee, who stays in mainland consecutively or accumulatively for more than 183 days, shall pay tax for the number of days staying in mainland in respect of the total salary received from both mainland company and overseas employer (including Hong Kong employer), after computing the tax payable.
3.Q：Need foreign national pay Individual Income Tax on director’s emolument received in China?
4.Q：Where shall foreign national pay tax on salary received in China?
A：The Individual Income Tax will be declared and paid by the employing enterprise on behalf of the foreign national.
5.Q：Does the number of days working in China include public holidays?
A：The number of working days of foreign national employed in China shall include public holidays enjoyed in China.